Thursday, June 05, 2008

Tesco

Since reading about the Viva! turtle campaign in 'New Leaves' (no 87, July, August, September 2007)- the Movement for Compassionate Living's quarterly publication, I have not stepped inside a Tesco store. We did once buy Tesco petrol, but we did not think the AA would be very sympathetic with our reason for running out of petrol. I am approaching my first anniversary of non attendance at Tesco. The horrors of the treatment of the turtles, which are sold in the Far East Tesco shops and which cannot be slaughtered humanely, still upset me, but I think I would now be unlikely to return to Tesco even if I heard that they had stopped this barbaric practice, so much does Tesco not exist for me in my planning of where to buy what I need, and so uncomfortable am I in general with their market domination. On a recent visit to Bristol, we passed perhaps 40 Tesco trucks, and only a smattering of other supermarket lorries. We have adopted a hissing reflex when we pass a Tesco van or lorry, a lighthearted way of alleviating the tension the sight of them induces.

No comments: