Monday, January 05, 2009

Recipes



I plan to occasionally include recipes that have been popular at Michael House here. I will of course acknowledge their source!



chocolate torte.



This is vegan and quite, quite yummy! Very sophisticated, it looks good, and tastes wonderful, and is almost alarmingly simple to make. It has been taken from Rose Elliot's book 'Vegan Feasts', which I use increasingly and recommend highly. My admiration for Rose goes back to her first book, 'Not Just a Load of Old Lentils' which I believe she wrote when she was around 16. My favourite book of hers has to be her 'Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking' , but I wonder if not many of these were printed, as it did not seem to be around for long, and most people have not heard of it. Perhaps the recipes have been printed in other books?



Anyway, on with the torte!:



serves 8 - 10 - I sometimes make half the quantity, and make individual tortes in little tins.



Ingredients:

for the base - 100g, 3 and a half oz. vegan plain chocolate
175g, 6 oz. vegan digestive biscuits - eg Doves Farm

for the top - 200g, 7oz, vegan plain chocolate
250ml soya cream carton
1tbs rum
chocolate curls to decorate

Method:

melt chocolate for the base over pan of simmering water, or in microwave. Break up the biscuits, in a mixer or by bashing in a bag! Add the melted chocolate. Press into the base of a greased tin, approx 21cm or 8 and a half ins. Chill.

Melt the reminder of the chocolate as before. Add the rum and soya cream. Spread over base and chill for at least 3 hours, covered, longer if possible. Decorate as needed. Good dessert to make ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa
Thank you for the lovely compliments. Your place is beautiful. Yet another reason for me to save my pennies for a return trip. I missed your part of the country when I visited Michele last spring.
Wendy